%%30%30: A Game
Mouse your way through the map without touching the deadly trees! (Chrome, Opera, etc. only)
WARNING: Do you have important, unsaved work open in other tabs?
You need to close this tab RIGHT NOW. Go save your work. Come back. Enjoy!
Start here… stay with the bears!
Okay, that was easy enough, let’s step it up a little?
Lets make it even harder…
Congrats, you made it!
Not on Chrome? Not on desktop? Is the game not working for you for some other reason?
Here’s what it’s supposed to look like:
What’s this about?
On Sep 18, 2015, someone discovered a bug in
Google Chrome and some other apps* that causes them to crash when trying to understand certain
%-escaped URLs, such as
http://github.com/%%30%30. Unfortunately, Chrome tries to understand the link not only when you navigate to it, but also when you hover over links (the trees). That’s why causing the hovering over the trees will make Chrome crash.
This is not a bug with loading the page at the URL, but with merely translating a URL from a non-standard form to a standard one (canonicalization) – thanks devs for pointing this out!
* This Chromium bug actually affected all Chromium-based apps, including:
The bug was fixed in the stable version of Google Chrome (version 45.0.2454.101) on Sep 24, 2015. If you still have this bug, you should upgrade Google Chrome by selecting the About Google Chrome menu item.
What about this game?
This game used to be hosted on the main page of the repo. However, if you have the new version of Google Chrome, the game on this page will not work for you. (Congrats on being bug-free!)
- Played this game too many times? x3030.herokuapp.com generates a new maze each time!
- Was this too easy? Are you a masochist? Someone else made this: linkofdeath.com
- See Hacker News for a lively discussion on whether wrapper apps can be considered native.
- The Next Web calls this game “stupid.” No u. We agree that it’s fun though.
- On Reddit, this keeps being posted onto r/programming and deleted for being off-topic.
- Ohai Berkeley CS10!
Have a better maze design? Want to report on the status of the bug? Issues and PRs are welcome!
The game code in this readme is generated automatically from the files in
- To edit the game map, edit
Recommended: use Sublime Text and use overwrite mode (⌥⌘O on Mac).
- To edit the generator code, including which pictures appear, edit
- When you’re done editing the source files:
- Note: The project uses a modified version of lockys/3030.js. I’m working on sending a PR soon. If you want to help out, please let me know!
Credits & License
Original idea by @szhu, with special thanks to the Chrome dev team for making this possible! You (the general public) can do whatever you want with the repo except claim it as your own work :)